Thursday, May 22, 2008

Donna Reed, Bastard, DUCK!

Right..so I am hopefully going to be submitting my citizenship application fairly soon (depending on when the frakin' permanent residency permit is finished processing..but that is a horse of a different colour). Whilst going over the application, and being sure of satisfying all of the requirements: Crazy? (check), Pay insane taxes (Check), etc, - I came across the section asking for my parents' information. This info was asked on all of my residency permits too..except when I went past the standard portion of Name, where they live, country of citizenship, date of birth etc..there is another section (2.3) asking:


Ovatko edellä mainitut vanhemmat keskenään avioliitossa tai ovatko olleet? • Är de ovannämnda föräldrarna sinsemellan gifta eller har de varit sinsemellan gifta?
Kyllä, vihkimispäivä ja -valtio
Ja, vigseldatum och stat ___________________________________

Ei • Nej

Eronneet, avioeropäivä ja -valtio
Frånskilda, datum för skilsmässa, stat ___________________________________


Now, I realize wanting to know where my parents live, nationality, and date of birth, is standard (wouldn't want me bring over unsavory types after obtaining the brass ring of being a citizen of Suomi) but what the hell do they care about;

a: Are my parents are still maried - their wedding date and what country - who gives a flying frak in a donught hole?
b: If they are not married (and I am a bastard...well I am a bastard, but not in THAT sense)
c: Are my parents are divorced - the date they divorced, and in what country - see snarky comment from item "a"

I can just picture this conversation:
"Mum..um..ya know that guy you were married to for 11 years, still can't stand to be in the same room with him 30 years later, refuse to call him by his name and just refer to him as "THAT Man" when the topic of my paternity comes up?...Um..er..what is the date of your divorce?"

So..either it is Donna Reed, I am a Bastard or I better really duck fast after asking Mum that gem...although I suppose it will just be an ear chewing considering I am 5000 miles away :)

No comments: