Friday, May 27, 2005

Things that make my eyes bleed....

At the risk of offending my best friend - who happens to be in the entertainement industry in the US (Sorry Beth!) - I have a request: PLEASE NO MORE REALITY TV!!!! Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick could you beat a dead horse any more!?!?!? I am so sick of:
  • stranded people trying to achieve their 15 minutes of fame and 1 million dollars
  • over and underqualified people trying to work for a billionaire who seriously needs to see a decent barber (come on Donald enough with the comb-over already!!!)
  • mediocre singers(and I use the term singer loosely) documenting their first years of marraige
  • oh look I want to be a rap star
  • oh look I want to be the new Idol
  • please can I work for an egotistical hairstylist and be subjected to verbal abuse?

To make matters worse, there are even MORE shows about to flood the US airwaves during the next viewing season. How about these gems of broadcasting:

  • "Beauty & the Geek” - As the title suggests, the series takes some socially challenged smart guys and couples them up with dimwitted lookers.


  • “Dancing With the Stars” will pair six celebrities, like boxer Evander Holyfield, with professional dancers to compete in a ballroom dancing contest. - I am speechless with this one....WHAT!?!?!?!?!??!?!?


  • “Hit Me Baby” exhumes has-been music stars who try to show a live audience they still have what it takes. The Knack, Vanilla Ice, Cameo, Tiffany, Wang Chung, Loverboy and Arrested Development are some of the acts. - Folks I had enough of Tiffany in the 80's and Vanilla Ice can just stay melted please!!!


  • “Fire Me ... Please” films two people starting new jobs on the same day doing everything they can to be fired by midday. The person who wins will earn more than he could ever hope for from the job. - Wow..just...wow.


  • —“Tommy Lee Goes to College” trails the photogenic rock star as he enrolls in the University of Nebraska — trying out for the marching band and cramming for exams. -um...er..ah...can he even read?

To make matters worse, Finnish TV has begun adapting these "American" TV shows (Idol started in the UK) to Finnish TV: Diili (the Finnish version of the Aprentice), Suomen Robinson (Finnish version of Survivor),Idol,Sillä Silmällä (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy), etc. Now to be fair to "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" - the US version - , it is downright hilarious to me. Carson is probably the most hilarious queen I have ever seen on TV.

What is next for the Finnish adaptation of these shows? I shudder to think that something like this could happen:

  • "Kauneuskuningatar ja Surkimus" - beauty queen and geek try to accomplish programming of a new mobile phone device which will suggest which color eye shadow is more appropriate for a specific season in Finland?
  • "Tanssiminen Tähtiän Kanssa" - Matti Nykanen, after being released from prison, will team up with other Finnish celebrities from by gone days to teach several immigrants how to do the Finnish Tango - gripping TV folks
  • "Iskee Minua Kulta!" - Danny, Kirka, Dingo, Lyijykomppania will all start performing in the central railwaystation to prove they can still draw a crowd. The one with the most money thrown in their hat and the least amount of bodily injury done to them by drunk hooligans will win - prize: a bottle of Koskenkorva and all the coins in their hat - the loosing teams need to give the winner their money and pay for the first round at a bar that will actually allow them in.
  • "Saa kenkää..Ole Hyvä!" - 5 people go to work at the Finnish Immigration office and actually process applications as fast and accurately as they can - the one to get fired first wins.
  • "Andy McCoy käy Yliopistossa" - Cameras follow Andy McCoy through his attempt at actually finding his way to at least 1 lecture at the university. Hillarity ensues when Andy trys to understand how to work the lift and attempt to join the university pub quiz team.

..I apologize in advance for any conjugation mistakes I made in my translations...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reality is just so much better on tv, you know.

I guess I don't even live in the real world, since I don't own a tv set.

Anzi said...

I guess I don't even live in the real world, since I don't own a tv set.

I just keeled over and died of shock.

Andy McCoy has already starred in his own reality show with his wife Angela. It was called "The McCoy's" I think. It started off funny, then quickly became very boring.

Anonymous said...

Anzi:

I have heard of the McCoy digrace that was on the TV here.

I think it would be funny to see him try to navigate his way thru Helsingin Yliopisto though. A laugh a minute!

Anonymous said...

Be lucky, in the 1970's we had two channels; channel #l had a color sending of Kekkonen every month, and channel #2 was full of shit anyhow...

Anonymous said...

Thank you BBC for Strictly Come Dancing (“Dancing With the Stars”) and The Sack (“Fire Me ... Please”) (the people who do this are actually actors, in the UK, it is three o' clock & I doubt it will work in Finland as firing employees are very difficult) & ITV for Hit Me Baby One More Time.

Anonymous said...

As a friend of mine says, "Reality TV is a form of Puking" I love that quote. Yep, and I'm the one working on not one but two reality shows... sigh... I'm such a sell out.