Monday, September 05, 2005

Horrors..and a bright note

Okay. The news (american) has been saturated with coverage of the disaster in the Gulf Coast of the US. I have avoided posting on it and tried to keep my shock and horror to myself about the behaviour of some of the citizenry and the government of the US in respect to this disaster. I have failed. I was a victim of my political outrage at a fellow foreigner here in Finland. Phil got my goat and got it good.

So I am going on record: The Federal, State and Local governments as well as the emergency relief organizations and agencies failed the people of New Orleans. The behavior of roving armed gangs is abhorent and no amount of "gun control laws" - as Phil likes to think is responsible for this - would have stopped this. People broke into stores and stole the guns. Simple as that. The relief organization, strategy and execution has failed. Mr.director of FEMA has not done his job. People are dead and more continue to die. It is devestating and horrible. Shame on the government, shame on FEMA.

There I said it.


On a bright note, I saw the Northern Lights for the first time this weekend while away at cottage. It was breathtaking. I have also developed a horrible chest cold...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This comment has pretty much nothing to do with the actual post.

I was catching up with your blog while , ahem, downloading music (which of course I paid for if anyone asks) and just as I read the part about Northern Lights a song started to play which fitted perfectly to the vision of the Lights. Slowhill; Come back as a butterfly. Go get it, listen and imagine those Northern Lights up in the sky. Maybe they do come back as butterflies...

Ookay, I'm making no sense. Off to bed before I start talking about things I see in the mist.

Kalmanuppi said...

Awwww... you know Phil.