Friday, January 13, 2006

Ah..Nostalgia

Okay my friend Hale is feeling old. She isn't even 30 yet and she is feeling that way (read her post on her blog to find out why). We had a discussion (which she references in her post) once about 80's movies. I was in High School (Lukio for you Finns) in the 80's. Beth was in Uni. Yeah she is older than I am, but as she will always point out: "It's not the age honey it is the milage." She is right btw..it is all about the milage.

Anywho, with my birthday fast approaching and after reading Hale's post, I have started thinking about our conversation regarding 80's movies... I remember going to see Purple Rain and being mesmerized by Prince up on the screen.. What young adult in the 80's doesn't remember: The Breakfast Club, About Last Night, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Say Anything, Footloose, The Outsiders, Goonies, Better Off Dead, The Princess Bride, Some Kind of Wonderful... And for those of us who were into a more sophisticated fare: Against All Odds, The Accused, Amadeus, Blue Velvet, The Color Purple...and yes Steel Magnolias..

These are classics folks...seriously. Some of the best lines ever are from 80's movies...

"..say hello to my lill friend" - Al Pacino, "Scarface" - as Tony Montana
"..Demented and sad...but social" - The Breakfast Club
"Anyone..anyone..Bueller..Beuller" - Ferris Beuller's Day Off -
"You used to be fun. You used to be warped and twisted and hilarious... and I mean that in the best way - I mean it as a compliment! "- John Cusak - Say Anything -as Lloyd Dobler

"As you wish" - The Princess Bride
"We'll never make it.." Goonies
"2 dollars..I want my 2 dollars".. Better Off Dead

....One of my favorite exchanges in a movie ever!:
Clairee: *Here*!
[Grabs Ouiser by the shoulder and positions her in front of M'Lynn]
Clairee: *Hit this*! Go ahead M'Lynn, *slap her*!
Ouiser Boudreaux: [Taken aback and confused] Are you crazy?
Clairee: *Hit her*!
Ouiser Boudreaux: *Are you high, Clairee*?
Truvy: [In a frightened tone] Clairee, have you lost your mind?
Clairee: We'll sell t-shirts sayin' "I SLAPPED OUISER BOUDREAUX!" Hit her!
Annelle: [in a scared tone] Ms. Clairee, enoough!
Clairee: Ouiser, this is your chance to do something for your fellow man! Knock her lights out, M'Lynn!
Ouiser Boudreaux: [snatches away] Let go o' me!
Clairee: M'LYNN, YOU JUST MISSED THE CHANCE OF A LIFETIME! HALF O' CHIQUAPIN PARISH'LL GIVE THEIR EYE-TEETH TO TAKE A WHACK O' OUISER!

...ah...nostalgia... Warning to all of you who don't know this: Upon being in the same location for more than 10 mintues, K, Mel, Michael and I can go through almost the entire script of Steel Magnolias... Well to US it is amusing..and We ARE *THAT* funny!!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mileage...

My current favorite movie quote is From "Sunset Boulevard" - yeah, older tha all of us: Insert manic looking Gloria Swanson and tough guy William Holden.

Joe: You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big.
Norma (bristling): I am big. It's the pictures that got small.
Joe: I knew there was something wrong with them.

Hale said...

Damn.I wasn't even a young adult, but I remember those movies... Sometimes I wonder have I been glued to the tv or what when I was a kid. I have way too many memories of movies and tv-shows I really shouldn't.

At the moment my favourite quote is from a recent finnish movie, roughly going something like "do you need to get it tattooed into your forehead when it's necessary to go after a girl?"

Because that would be dead useful to me ;)

Anonymous said...

Well yeah I do read your blog. And now I read Hales too... Mwuahhaahhaa!
(Related to last nights conversation...)

Curiosa said...

hej, just thought i'd say hi. ran across your blog on google.

an american in stockholm

Anonymous said...

Jesus girl, you sure put up a list of some dandy flicks! Anybody with that good taste in movies can't be all bad.

Anonymous said...

Hell YES we are that funny!!! Great list of movies, I miss the old days of the goddesses when one of us hadn't outgrown the rest.

Anzi said...

You have been challenged.