Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fuggedda 'bou dit..

SO I was reading my daily dose of vapid entertainment news and I noticed that Dennis Farina got arrested.. How stupid can one be? I have to admit, that everytime I have seen him, my first thought is "made man". Then I read..he used to be a cop for 20 years.. Hell-ay's sunshine and dinners at Mr. Chow must have addled his brains..

This got me thinking about mobsters. Modern 'merican history is rife with tales of the modern day mob. I will admit, one of my favorite movies is Goodfellas. "What am I a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? Funny? Funny how?" BANG! - gotta love Joe Pesci. Then my mind wandered to my new country and it's history of "mobsters" (organized crime).

Here is a breakdown of the the organized crime families in the States (the list is long..feel free to just skim):
New YorkFive Families
Bonanno, Colombo, Gambino, Genovese, Lucchese
Buffalo crime family ( AKA The Arm )
Morello crime family (extinct)

New Jersey
DeCavalcante crime family

Chicago
The Chicago Outfit, Genna crime family (extinct)

Pennsylvania
Scarfo crime family (Philadelphia) ,Bufalino crime family, Pittsburgh crime family

New England
Patriarca crime family

Cleveland
Cleveland crime family, Porello gang (extinct)

California
Los Angeles crime family
San Francisco crime family (later incorporated in the Los Angeles crime family as a crew)
San Diego crime family (later incorporated in the Los Angeles crime family as a crew)
San Jose crime family (later incorporated in the Los Angeles crime family as a crew)

New Orleans
New Orleans crime family

Missouri
St. Louis crime family

Kansas City
Kansas City crime family

Florida
Trafficante crime family

Detroit
The Detroit Partnership ( AKA The Combination )

Seattle
Colacurcio crime family (alleged) - the "alleged" cracks me up

Wisconsin
Milwaukee Crime Family


Finnish Organized Crime:
The Obtshak, a consortium of the Estonian Mafia and Russian Mafia holds a prostitution monopoly in Finland. They may also employ Finns as "minders", that is, gangsters.
There are a few motorcycle gangs as well..but let's face it...the Ruskies and Estonians are the predominate ones and they are in cahoots. 1 frickin' consortium? Sheesh. Fuggedda 'bout dit..

I then took a look at the crime statistics in Finland. For a country whos citizenry firmly believe that Finland is a relatively safe country (and for the most part it is: (per wiki) In Finland, 101 crimes per 1,000 people are reported annually, which is third highest in the world. Finland also has the highest homicide rate per capita in Western Europe being three times that of Switzerland for example.

I read this statistic and I was thinking to myself: HOLY CRAP! Then I took into account:
US total population as of July 2007 - 301,139,947
FI total population as of July 2007 - 5,238,460

...just a rambling thought today...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CIA world factbook has Finland's popuation WAY wrong, tho. It's in fact 5'310 000 at the moment according to census bureau. That said, Finland does have amazingly high homicide rate. Most of it is due to domestic violence: jealous ex-husbands who decide that if they can't have [insert name of ex-wife] then no one will. From what I gather, there was however a positive trend in crime rates still a year a go or so. At least that's what the news reported.

Pia said...

Finns also probably report even the smaller crimes quite easily since the police is quite trustworthy and corruption isn't a huge problem.