Friday, October 28, 2005

Little Things

It is the little things that make me happy. I have now lived in Finland for almost 2 years. It was somewhat of a culture shock when I first moved, but nothing that sent me running for the next plane back to Beantown. Life is a journey and I have a philosophy that every day I should learn something. It doesn't matter if it is something small or big or about me or the world. Learning should never stop.

I learned something today. It is the little things at work that can make you feel good about your job and your ability to do it. In the States it is common to commend someone for a job well done. If they have performed well in a difficult or stressful situation, a simple "Good Job!", or "Thanks so much for your hard work, I appreciate it." From my experiences in Finland, not so much of that here. It is sort of expected that it is your job and you do it. Period. At the end of a successful project the team will most likely go out for beer or have a launch celebration, but individual compliments are hard to come by.

So ..my project from hell is proceeding and I had to give a 2 hour presentation today (complete with a snazzy powerpoint slide presentation, pivot tables, charts etc) - at the end of it, the Project Manager said "I had a feeling you knew what you were doing. Now I KNOW you do. I am very happy." - That is HUGE for me!

Suddenly I am not as stressed as I was before, even though I still have 346356 meetings a day and 3636456 things to get done. That simple little "I am happy." from my PM made a TON of my stress go away...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....now time for a hot cocoa to celebrate...then back to the grind....

...did I mention it has snowed already here?...brrr....slippery ice covered sidewalks are scary at o'dark thirty in the morning...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally got around to catching up on blogs. Just wanted to say...I love us. We rock. what a great trip.

Snow sucks.

Anonymous said...

Ice?

Oh yeah, Ice! The stuff that goes in drinks... I get it...