Friday, July 08, 2005

Stoic

Right, so all over the news channels, websites, papers are images and stories of the terrorist attack in London on 7/7. I was so engrossed in my daily work grind yesterday that I didn't even know something had happened until Mira IM'd me and said "Have you heard the news on London?". Normally I am one who launches a news site first thing in the morning with her coffee and absorbs the happenings all over the world. Needless to say I was shocked at what I read. Not surprised, but shocked. It was never really a question of if, but when and where. Tragically tens (37 according to the BBC news site this morning) were killed and over 700 wounded. In the space of 56 minutes, the largest terrorist attack on British soil had occurred. Kristin was flooded with emails and IM's asking if she and D were okay - thankfully they are. I know she works 40 miles outside of London but I was still concerned until I received her email. D and she could have decided they looked too good to go to work that day and opted for a terrace beer/wine festival of their own. Thankfully they were nowhere near the occurances.

While watching BBC World last night after work, I was in awe of the calmness of the victims and witnesses the reporters interviewed. The stoicism floored me. I remember after 9/11, the hysteria and sheer panic which pervaded US streets. Not just in NY, PA or Washington, but all streets. It reminded me a bit of Chicken Little. I am not trying to belittle or criticize the American reaction to 9/11, but merely point out the drastic differences in reaction with respect to the British people. The famous British Stiff Upper Lip was evident and in full force and Tony Blair was almost Churchill-like in his statements. The difference in reaction to this attack, in my opinion, partially stems from the fact that Britain has been a target of terroist attacks for many years - the bombing of the BBC, M62, Birmingham Pub, Warrington, and Harrods (which my best friend was witness to and narrowly escaped from) - just to name a few. The US only had Oklahoma and the 1st attempt on the towers be fore 9/11. I am not saying that one should get used to terroism or terrorist attacks on innocent people. However, the British people - including the emergency services workers - behaved admirably and calmly in the face of a horrible situation partially because of having lived with the threat of terrorist attacks for many many years.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it was stoicism, stiff upper lip or even 1940's East London blitz spirit, it was just a practical understanding that Londoners by years on fire-drill training and IRA bombings that meant the people went patiently, calmly and quickly out of those metro stations and you have to remember that the emergency services has many years training and practice in this. - Philip, England (philipmarshall@jippii.fi)