Thursday, August 18, 2005

Timewarp

I know I already posted about being out of the music closet. You know..being a fan of 80's music counts too. The decade of Reagan, The Cosby kids and Flock of Seagulls you ask? Why yes. It doesn't help that I spent my highschool years in the 80's. Everyone dressedwith pegged pants (those from MA will get it), Guess jeans,Champion Sweatshirts, Polo or Drakar for the boys - who incidentally wore so much they could sterilize a frog at 400 yards - and high hair (on both the girls AND some of the boys) that would make a Jersey girl or a chick from Revere proud.

This, however, is not about music but about movies! A Finnish friend of mine and I were discussing "Old" movies on IM the other day. She was home sick (she is feeling better now) and said she spent the day with the shades drawn watching old movies. I was all like "aces!!". Turns out it wasn't that she was watching those really elegant black and white movies where all the women wear sleek silk dressing gowns and those slip on slippers with fluffy stuff on them while smoking a filterless cigarette from a cigarett holder and drinking a martini. Their diamond earings, necklace and in some cases tiara, glinting beautifully during the cocktail hour while their gentleman caller is standing there in a tuxedo with a nice congac in his hand saying things like "Really darling we just must attend the party. It is the social event of the year" or some such suave sentiment. She was watching "old" movies from the 80's. How does a movie from the 80's count as "old". If a movie from the 80's counts as old, does that mean that I am? For me, an old movie means black and white (I don't go for colorized versions..icky) with good lighting and actressess like Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, Marlene Dietrich and leading men like Humphry Bogart, Jimmy Cagney, Peter Lawford etc. Movies like: the ORIGINAL "Oceans 11", "To Have and Have Not", "The Big Sleep", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "From Here to Eternity", "Angels With Dirty Faces".....

In all fairness, I am a fan of 80's movies. I mean really! Who of similar age to myself doesn't have some comming of age memory from films like "The Breakfast Club", "Say Anything", "Sixteen Candles", "St. Elmo's Fire", "Pretty in Pink", "About Last Night", "The Outsiders"..and many many more. Wow, looking at that list it is all Brat Pack movies. So I am wondering now..can 80's movies be classified as "old"? If they do then maybe I should be espousing how "kids today don't know how good they have it," or yell at them to "get off my lawn!!"..or "turn down that racket! You call THAT music!?!?"...or "pull up your trousers and wear some that FIT young man!!!" I feel like I have been shoved into a timewarp and am suddenly older than I realize!

I think I am going to have a nice relaxing cup of coffee and listen to my 80's channel on accu radio. Something very soothing about Bow Bow Bow, Blondie, Peter Gabriel can calm you down. Come on everyone..Shock The Monkey!!!!!

7 comments:

Salo said...

I dont think if 80's is counted as "old". I was born in the middle 80s, so I cant say I remember much of the life or movies of that frame -- I imagine Im about 10 years your junior -- but they arent particulary "new" neither.

Question is, what do you call a movie that isint bw and was made before you were born?

Anonymous said...

Honey, you are not old, you were just born A LONG TIME ago... It is time to admit that if something started 25 years ago, like the eighties, it's been a while...

But really, there are old movies and then there are old movies. I must admit I should have been a bit more specific on IM and say I was watching old videotapes. Although I was watching also movies starring Marilyn Monroe, like Some Like It Hot,but I did watch Breakfast Club too (one of the best movies ever!)

Anonymous said...

You are as old as you feel. I feel 17, but was firmly on the groiund for The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Hale..you meanie!!

K: Totally with you on the old as you feel vibe. I am all about feeling like a youngin!

Anonymous said...

Guess what I'm gonna say...

It's not the age, it's the mileage.

;-)

Anzi said...

I can't get enough of 1980's cheese. Sign me up for a Brat Pack film festival any day. Last summer I spent a lot of time in the Finnish Film Archive's theater because they were running a series of dance movies. We are talking Footloose, Flashdance, Dirty Dancing, Breakdance.... I was over the moon!

But, as I was watching my recently purchased Top Gun special edition DVD the other day I realized that my kid sister was only two years old when that movie came out. To her, this movie is not nostalgia but ancient history. She does not remember sitting in the corner at the school dance watching the popular kids dance to "Take my Breath Away" like I do. There's a whole bunch of kids out there who think that Axel F is originally performed by Crazy Frog. So yeah, I guess 1980's movies are old in a way. I wish they weren't.

Kalmanuppi said...

Oh... how about Tv...
"Hill Street Blues"
"Knight Rider"
"Dallas" & "Dynasty" & "Falcon Crest"

ouch...